Now I’d simply like to point out three events:
The first one is the Züri Fäscht. Obviously (as everyone seemed to know except me stupid country girl…) that’s a HUGE party taking place. As it happened I wasn’t aware of it and by that time was studying economics in my room in Zurich. When studying I once felt kind of irritated because of an airplane-like noise. Of course I didn’t bother because I was studying so hard!;) Anyway…s, after a while I thought it to be quite a long-lasting noise and checked the view out of my window. Believe it or not I was quite surprised to see the Patrouille Suisse flying their most beautiful acrobatics in the air.
Since I'm not a very talented photographer and only own a loosy digital camera these pictures are kind of funny. Nonetheless I hope you're able to make out three dots on the one above.
On this one here three planes are flying next to each other...
After I had watched them for a while polluting our lovely blue planet I went back to studying. It went dark outside and suddenly there was this loud noise again – this time I didn’t wait and checked it out immediately and thus had the pleasure to see the lovely fireworks they obviously use to shoot up in the sky at this occasion (of course I couldn’t see the small ones from my place, but the big ones were quite impressive!). Here some examples:
.
.
The next night I was no longer surprised hearing airplanes flying at low altitude above the lake and town and I even went up to the Züriberg, a hill, to enjoy the fireworks in their full beauty. Arriving on that hill was kind of embarrassing, too. When I got there I was wondering about that illuminated part of the city I’d never seen before – after a while I realized that all these lights simply enough were boats and ships on the lake of Zurich… By the way, I counted two big ferry wheels and tons of other crazy ferry machines… The next morning I wanted to go for a swim in the lake and by the time I got there it was raining which certainly kept me from touching the water even with my toes! Thus I decided to unicycle along the seaside to enjoy something of the day. Unfortunately it didn’t end up to be a very nice ride because the Züri Fäscht seemed to be on Sunday as well and therefore there were stands, outdoor bars, stages… pretty much everywhere. Yep, that’s about it – my experiences of the Züri Fäscht.
In case you’ve been reading this blog for a while you might have crossed the name Repastani-Quartett before. This year Reno, Pascal and I are trying to realize all kind of projects we planed to do long ago. The first one realized was a dinner we cooked together (shrimp fondue…) at Reno’s place and the second turned out to have taken place last Saturday afternoon. The three of us had a rehearsal at my place in Buchs and then took the train to Sargans, Thalwil, Lucerne, being our final station. Having arrived in the cute town of Lucerne we went to the Kappelbrücke (famous wooden bridge at the beginning of the lovely old town) and started busking there. We certainly had tons of fun doing that and there even were some folks who didn’t run away from us when we started playing our music!;) It was kind of weird in the beginning because we played in an unusual formation. The reason for this was simple for keyboards and all kind of synthesized instruments are prohibited. The formation therefore was the following: Reno played the Schwyzerörgelis (Swiss accordeons), Pascal played the clarinet and I switched between my violin and the double bass. After having played at some places we went out and had pizza in an Italian restaurant.
Event number three was scheduled for this past Wednesday. I organized a visit at the NAGRA underground facility in Mont Terri JU (Western Switzerland). Eight 2nd semester earth scientists and one 2nd semester biologist from ETHZ took the train that morning from Zurich to St.Ursanne. There we met two guys from NAGRA and first had some coffee and croissants together. Afterwards the geologist held a speech about the work they and other folks from France, Japan, Sweden, Finland, Germany etc are doing, nuclear waste in general, how Switzerland has been storing (by)products recently, what the plans are for the future and so on. It was a very interesting and capturing topic and so was the speech. Since we all couldn’t resist to ask some questions it took a little longer than planned, which luckily nobody really cared about. Having finished his speech the geologist and his mate took us underground. We drove into the mountain in a bus and then walked in the underground galleries where we looked at all different kind of past and on-going experiments NAGRA or other companies working there did / are doing. Besides the fact that I would have got lost in there, it was terrific! I especially was impressed by seeing the progress which was made over the past twenty years of experimenting. But it also was stunning to listen to the two men telling stories of different drilling projects years ago or what kind of problems other countries (which do not have anything similar to the Opalinuston) have. Opalinuston is the one rock formation, being some sort of clay, which is the most favourite one right now in Switzerland to use to embed nuclear waste products.
That's us after the underground tour. From the left to the right you see: Philippe, Michaela, Sandro, me, Fabian, Marko, Luca, Annette and Hüsseyin.
However, at the end we didn’t want to miss the opportunity to have a look at the village St.Ursanne. We spent a full hour enjoying the beautiful weather, the very nice site and lunch (finally). After that break one ‘NAGRA guy’ even drove us to Delémont where we easily were able to catch a train back to Zurich. Concluding I’d say it was an awesome day off from studying!!!
The small picture on the left is the church in the most lovely village St.Ursanne. St.Ursanne is in the Western part of Switzerland.
This picture above shows you the river in St.Ursanne called Doubs.
I hope you’ve survived reading all this or you got an impression thanks to the pictures…;) Writing this might be the last post for a while because I’m going to be heading towards Northern Ontario in less than two weeks and when returning from that trip I’ve got to face all these friendly exams which will probably keep me occupied for a while. And after our last exam Marion and I are gonna go to the Mischufe (party at KSS – high school) and then we’re pretty much gonna leave straight ahead to France to do some canoeing on the Loire – Vive l’aventure et vive la France;)!!!
I do hope that everything is going just swell for you, dear reader, wherever you are on this planet!
No comments:
Post a Comment