14.12.2009 60 km
On that Monday I rode from Geraldine to Fairlie. I didn't take the highway though, but stayed on small, partly gravel roads. Hence I came by Hildon, Kakahu, Opihi River (laying in the sun for an hour), Raincliff (amazing limestone cliffs!) and Spur Rd. On Spur Rd weather decided to change and I ended up riding in fog, gusty wind and rain. A steep descent (reaching top speed of 63 kph on a short sealed part of the road!) took me down to the township and to a nice campground where a hot shower awaited me and I met two German cyclists.
Road along cliffs (Raincliff).
15.12.2009 47 km
Brilliant weather again (whilst there were thunderstorms in the Canterbury Plains). So, I actually got to enjoy the scenery around Fairlie and it snowed that night! Amazing, moderate climb up Burkes Pass with all the snowcovered mountains around! And then: Lake Tekapo! Simply stunning, breathtaking, unbelievably blue! And surrounded by all the mountains! Met Israeli family living in Australia to share these dreamy moments! After spending a lot of time just looking at the lake, I went to the hot pools in the late evening. It was just relaxing soaking in the hot water whilst taking in the splending mountainous vistas!
Lake Tekapo with lupins in foreground and mountains in background! (Sry, the blue of the lake just doesn't look like it does in reality when the sun shines onto the lake.)
16.12.2009 113 km
Before breakfast I hiked up to Mt.John where there are some oberservatories. I didn't care too much about then for the view captured me in every way! You get a 360 degree panorama with the huge high plateau all surrounded by mountains as well as the lakes just at the foot of Mt.John.
View from Mt.John with Lake Tekap being the one lake at the right.
After this two hour stroll and breakfast (as well as some decent food shopping because of the lack of shops on my further route), I hit the road. I rode along the canals. Still amazed by the endless dry plateau (and flat roads) and the omnipresent mountains, I made my way to Lake Pukaki.
Closed road along canal. Advantage: no other traffic!;)
Due to splendid weather Mt.Cook was majestically overlooking the whole scenery! Because there was no wind really, I decided to make it all the way to Mt.Cook Village that day. Which I did, 55ks as flat as it can be in NZ and almost continously enjoying the view of Aoraki! Arriving in the township, I decided to stay in the YHA hostel for one night after a long wasting (but wonderful) day!
Lookout on the way to Mt.Cook Village.
In the morning I managed to get myself out to the DOC campground where I had a nap. Later I went for some short walks in this alpine area. Just beautiful glaciers, morraines... Met that one German guy and the Israeli family again which was fun. After dinner I did that 3 hours Hooker Valley walk with was a pleasure for the weather still was perfect and the surroundings remained amazing!
View of Mt.Cook with glacier and glacier lake.
18.12.2009 127 km
Crazy strong northwesterly blowing! At breakfast I met a girl who studies geography at unizh which was fun. Then I hit the road and enjoyed riding with an average speed of 25 kph whithout putting much effort in it! The only scary parts were when the wind came from the side (not so much fun). Luckily I mostly just relaxed and enjoyed that amazing tail wind! (The put up signs STRONG WIND and some campervans didn't make their planned route because of the wind, the forecast was like 120kph wind or so;)) So I continued towards Twizel and Omarama in that hot and dry weather. After almost 100 ks, I saw this sign CLAY CLIFFS and followed it. It took me down another dead end: 10 ks, almost all gravel, very windy. The site eventually was well worth the effort! I met the German guy again. After enjoying the cliffs, I finally had lunch and then backtracked to the highway and ended up staying at a fancy campsite at Lake Benmore.
Clay Cliffs.
19.12.2009 117 km
On this cloudy and warm day I made my way along different lakes, downhill (?!) the Waiktaki Valley. I was accompanied by a omnipresent, not very strong, head wind. The landscape was kind of wild wild west (with funky little gold rush towns) but I slowly came into greenish foothills. Along the highway there was some Maori Rock Art where I stopped to have a look at that (and the rock itself, taffoni weathered limestone!).By getting to Duntroon I was quite sick of the highway. So I took the road to Oamaru via Island Cliff and Ngapara. Hence I accidentaly came by the Elephant Rocks, which were kinda cool! Finally I got to Oamaru around 7pm where I stayed at the YHA hostel. Since the place seemed kinda nice, I decided to stay for two nights.
tönt spannend und sieht super aus, offensichtlich sind da verschiedene zugvögel auf ähnlichen wegen - so trifft man sich mehrmals...
ReplyDeleteweiterhin schöne zeit und alles gute
gruss to.pa.
Flippin' awesome! Good for you! Wish I were back in NZ myself!
ReplyDeleteCheers
Andy