03.01.2010 56 km
Rained overnight and in the morning and I finally managed to leave the town by noon. Easily made it to Kaka Point where I enjoyed a sunny afternoon hanging out at the beach, eating ice cream, drinking coffee... After some time, I moved on and rode out to Nugget Point which was absolutely amazing!!! (despite my bike frame breaking along the way and continuing with a ductaped version...) The combination of forest, cliffs and rugged/wild sea is simply breathtaking!!!
Continued to Owaka where I stayed at the campground which shared facilities with the YHA hostel. Got offered some casserole and Sri Lankian food that night - yummie!
Nugget Point.
04.01.2010
Rest day: getting bike fixed, decent cooking, reading, staying indoors due to rainy, windy, nasty weather...
05.01.2010 46 km
After having a hard time making a decision, I finally just hit the main highway. Had a look at the Purakaunui and Matai Falls along the way. Along the way, I met two Swiss girls cycling and a whole weird Russian group. The weather was quite terrible. At some point it cleared up a bit (and stunning vistas emerged from the clouds!!!) and made it to McLeans Falls where I stayed at the campground and after dinner I had a glass of wine in the cafe.
Purukaunui Falls in a lush NZ bush environment!
Tautuku bay.
06.01.2010 34 km
Short morning bike ride in dry weather to Curio Bay where I pitched my tent. I then had a look at the Jurassic petrified forest there (seeing some sea lions, too) and enjoyed the long beach at Porpoise Bay. At 5pm I went surfing. We were only two girls and were provided with wet suits and everything. It was so much fun! Of course not always suceeded to jump on my feet and riding the waves - but just brilliant! (It started raining, I didn't bother really.)
Curio Bay where I could see the petrified forest, sealions and a oystercatcher's nest.
07.01.2010 82 km
Left Curio Bay around 10.30am. Hitchhiked to Slope Point (southermost point of the South Island) and back to the main coastal road. When I got to Fortrose I had a coffee - just in the right time it seemed for a thunderstorm started including wind, rain, hail, lightning... As soon as it cleared up a bit, I continued on my way to Invercargill. It rained again very hard around Mokotua and I was facing a head wind all the way into Invercargill. Was pretty happy to finally put up my tent, have a shower and dinner....
Large amount of hail along the road as well as partly flooded fields accompanied me on my way to Invercargill...
No comments:
Post a Comment