Friday, May 07, 2010

Central Plateau

27.04.2010
Rest day in Whakatane
feijoas, kiwi fruit and avocados!


28.04.2010    101 km
Still too rough sea for going out to White Island. Hence I just continued cycling. My route took me thru nice NZ bush, along various lakes to sulphur-and-mudpool-rich Rotorua where I stayed the night at a campsite with hot pools!

29.04.2010     93 km
In the morning, I visited Te Puia to enjoy some Maori culture performance and to check out some geysirs. Quite different from good old Stokkur, but nice, too. In the afternoon I cycled to Taupo where I was welcomed by drizzle and a lot of boring grey clouds.
geysirs!

30.04.2010
Staying an extra day in Taupo, hoping for the clouds to vanish and therefore revealing the volcanoes at the opposite lake shore... Didn't happen, of course;)

01.05.2010     53 km
Nice short, pretty much flat day cycling from Taupo to Turangi.

02.05.2010     7hrs
Catching bus to Mangatepopo car park (like tons of other people) and starting hiking up the amazingly well maintained track. Escaping the crowds by going to Mt.Tongariro for lunch. Quite chilly wind. Meeting Swiss cyclist I met weeks ago on the South Island;) Hiking past the blue lake and later descending to Otuere hut where I stayed the night. Breathtaking scenery! Another awesome night's sky with Mt.Ngaurohoe!
sight from the track leading 'up' Mt.Tongario, blue lake in the background
at the top!;)
emerald lakes - to the left around the corner there's blue lake, down the valley to the right is Otuere hut
passed blue lake, view over Lake Taupo
blue lake

03.05.2010     3hrs
Nice stroll across some deserty, rocky land to Whaihohonu hut. Reading a book. Going for a stroll to the Ohinepango Springs, just taking in the scenery, sunbathing in the remote tussocky fields between Ruapehu and Ngaurohoe!
Mt.Ngaurohoe to the right and Mt.Ruapehu to the left

04.05.2010     5hrs
Walking to Whakapapa Village on another perfect day! Quite sad that all that tramping around the volcanoes was so short! Maybe I should have the the longer Round-the-Mountain track, too... But then, it's quite cold up there already;) Catching bus back to Turangi.
lower Tama lake with Ruapehu in background

05.05.2010     101 km
Cycling up the Desert Road to have lunch at 1075 masl. Splendid sunny day! Downhill to Waiouru and staying the night at DOC campsite in Ohakune! Real nice frost overnight!;)
on the Desert Road
on my way to Ohakune, it's Mt.Ruapehu

06.05.2010     88 km
Cycling with sight of Ruapehu to the right and bit further away on the left: Taranaki! Leaving Tongario National Park behind after passing thru another skiing resorty settlement at National Park. Staying at campsite in Taumaranui.
leaving Mt.Ruapehu behind... entering King Country

2 comments:

  1. Hello Anina

    Danke für die Fotos - schön, dass auch Dich wieder einmal zu sehen.
    Es freut mich immer riesig, so an Deiner tollen Reise teilnehmen zu können.
    Mach's guet, ich denke oft an Dich

    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey you posted a picture of yourself. That's great. Thank you!
    It's good to hear from you.



    Love, little sis

    ReplyDelete