Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Morocco - geological mapping

After the term had ended end of June, we went on a mapping fieldtrip to Morocco. Flying in and out of Marrekech, we drove across the High Atlas Mountains to the town of Taznakt. There we stayed in a hotel with pool (what a luxury in the hot Morrocon summer). Our mapping area was stunningly beautiful, situated in the mountain desert of the Anti-Atlas! We worked in groups of three and were pretty much occupied all day long looking at rocks;). One day we went to visit a mine, which was nice for a change.
It was a great experience! Rather different from Alpine mapping. Abundant pyroclastic flows and conglomerates - I think I've seen that for a while...;) Naturally, I absolutely adored the barren landscape!!!
Some impressions...:
In the High Atlas Mountains: a rainy day in summer.
Unesco World Heritage - old Berber town.
our mapping area
our mapping area
geologist at work :)
wildlife, more abundant were: snakes, scorpions and big beetles...
rocks, town, plants and field mates!
local town
enjoying the view from the top of Jbl Timqa

No comments:

Post a Comment