After a couple of days at the drill rig, I started mapping in the bush. Mapping as bush-bashing, measuring structures (foliation, bedding etc.), taking samples, describing rocks, taking GPS waypoints... It is absolutely terrific! I get to be outdoors all day long and discover new plants and animals, meet people and get to know the regional geology. My French is improving, I've learnt some basic expressions in Bambara and a 2-hrs-break-down of the rig doesn't bother me anymore. The following photos might give you an idea of the daily sights as This Is Africa.
![]() |
| tea time at the drill rig |
![]() |
| just tools (second from the left: machete) |
![]() |
| Malian Lunch |
![]() |
| sieving at the drill rig |
![]() |
| water |
![]() |
| hut |
![]() |
| village |
![]() |
| peanuts |








Thanks for keeping us up to date. You're really doing some amazing stuff. But guess in some time this will all seem very normal to you... :)
ReplyDeleteGreets
little Sis