Tuesday, October 20, 2009

BUDAPEST

On the mid October weekend  I left the city of Graz on Friday morning at 6am by train. The train took me to Budapest, Hungary where I arrived around noon. The first task there was to find a place to sleep and I ended up staying in a really nice homeish hostel called Aventura Hostel.
I then enjoyed my first day in Budapest and strolled the streets in Pest - simply amazed by the variety of all kinds of buidlings. In the evening I went for some recreation in the Gellert spa thermal bath. Since Budapest is located in a region with lots of thermal springs, there have always been baths with them. Naturally the buildings themselves are quite astonishing as well because there richly decorated with stone mosaiques... Just sitting in the warm water, enjoying some hot steam, going for a dip in the freezing cold tub was brilliant (whilst outdoors it was cold and started raining...). One doesn´t wanna get too lazy, and so I went for a stroll up the citadelle hill: The view over Buda by night was great!

The Danube and Buda by night as it can be seen from the Citadellle.

On Saturday I payed the local market a visit and managed to buy some vegetables, sausage, cheese without understanding a single Hungarian word...;)

Chilis and vegetables at the local market in Pest.
The remaining day time I spent on the side of Pest mostly where I went up the second hill which is all Unesco World Heritage Side. There were quite a lot of tourists up there. The place itself was lovely though and again the view was stunning!

View over Buda, the Danube and Pest seen through part of that big wall which is part of the Unesco World Cultural Heritage.
In the afternoon I bumped into a guy from Peru who´s living in London and we ended up chatting for a while in one of the abundant cafes. And later I continued walking and came by close the Danube.

Me in front of the Danube, parliament in the background!

On Sunday I explored a park and checked out two synagogues. And after all these hours walking the streets of Budapest I had to face another 6 hrs train and bus ride through wide fields and colored woods - back to Graz.

Early morning view from a bridge. Buda on the right hand side and Pest with the parliament on the left hand side.

No comments:

Post a Comment