Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Croatia

As from 09-05-2009 I’ve been living in Graz, doing an IAESTE internship at the institute of applied geosciences at TU (university of technology) Graz. Graz is an amazing city in Styria, Austria. The cultural happenings are diverse - food and cooking a pleasure thanks to a daily market with fresh, local product – people are very nice – there’s a whole variety of café’s to enjoy a coffee or drink after work…
So, because I don’t want to get too bored and love travelling, I made up my mind and got myself a train ticket to Croatia and back. A friend of mine is doing an internship in Split. Therefore I took the train overnight to get there. Having arrived in Split on early Saturday morning, I went for a short stroll thru the Diocletian’s palace.



At 9am three IAESTE trainees from Split (including my friend), a Croatian guy and I took the ferry to the island Brac. On this marvellous island we enjoyed a sunny and warm weekend. Hence we had the pleasure of spending our time eating icecream, hanging out on Zlatni Rat (beach), going for a swim in the stunning blue and clear sea, looking for a place to sleep, hiking the highest point on the island (780masl), going out for Croatian dinner…



On Sunday evening, we took the ferry back to Split. There, my friend showed me around town and we ended up drinking a coffee and talking on the pjaza. For dinner my friend, the girl from Brazil and I went out for pizza which was followed by a rather short night due to long hours of chatting…;)


We also came by and bought a funny tangerine with green peel from the local market!

Monday, 09-29-2009: Off I went to Zagreb by train. Of course, I was rather tired. Nonetheless I had an enjoyable ride up north to the capitol of Croatia. In Zagreb, I mostly just walked the streets, drank a café in one of the abundant cafés downtown, visited the Museum of Naïve Art, went food shopping at the local green market calle Dolec, practised my very poor Croatian on many occasions…





On Tuesday I continued north crossing Slovenia.

That’s quite nice a ride because of the mountains around. To finish a great trip I decided to make a stop in Lasko. After a short walk thru the village, I went to the sauna there.

After all, these were four awesome days including wonderful moments with friends in amazing surroundings!

No comments:

Post a Comment