03.12. 2009
Just doing administrative stuff like opening a bank account, get a sim card, food shopping... cycling Christchurch a bit.
In the evening my mate took me out to the Port Hills where we went climbing. Well, I mostly just watched. But it was brilliant - just hanging out with kiwis, enjoying the sun, the view over the city of Christchurch - amazing!
Christchurch city as it can be seen from the Port Hills.
View from the climbing spot.
04.12. 2009 35km
In the morning I did some more necessary boring stuff in town and met some Canadian cycling guy who encouraged me a bit to get started. So I did in the afternoon. I started riding my fully packed bike from Christchurch to Lyttleton harbor over the Port Hills and Evans Pass - my first hill - and it shouldn't be the last one... In Lyttleton I caught the ferry to Diamond Harbor and then continued to Purau where I pitched my tent at the seaside.
05.12.2009 26 km
Got up at 6am, packed, had breakfast and left at 7.30am.
Hill #1: Unbelievably steep, luckily only encountering one car! Fun, short, fast descent!
Hill #2: Gravelroad. Nice moderate climb until turn of the road. Descent still gravel road which was a bit scary. Especially with sheep standing in the middle of the road!;) I managed though and got to marvellous Pigeon Bay at lunch time and put up my tent at the campground there.
Start of the gravel road, nice flat car-less climb.
In the afternoon I enjoyed being lazy at the seaside watching some kind of regatta going on out in the bay. In the evening I got invited for a coup of tea by these two old NZ guys who were sailing in the bay for the weekend. We did have a really nice time just chatting about all kinds of things!
06.12.2009 37 km
I left Pigeon Bay around 9am. It started off with rolling hills and turned into a scary uphill. Luckily it wasn't that steep for the rest of the climb to Summit Rd. Breathtaking view over the Akaroa Caldera!!! I then continued on Summit Rd (left) just enjoying the scenery and at the end doing a crazy descent into Akaroa where I stayed at the backpackers Chez la Mer.
I still had time to check out the town of Akaroa and had an espresso in a waterfront cafe which was great!
The view with the clouds making their way over the caldera rim from that waterfront cafe.
The evening I just spent talking to people in the backpackers. Like this one French guy and a British guy. All very nice people and amazing stories and experiences all over the place!
07.12.2009 83 km
Akaroa - Duchaville: nice small hills. Up to Summit Rd.
View from Summit Road over Akaroa Bay.
Amazing descent from Hilltop to Little River. Great browniecheesecake at bakery there. From Little River on there was this nice gravel cycling path which followed an old railtrail. Just stunning landscapes, along lakes, brilliant weather, tail wind...!
Railtrail between Little River and Motukarara.
Later that wind turned into a head wind and it took me a while to do the last couple of ks on highwaz 75 into Christchurch where I'm staying at the YHA for two nights before my adventure continues!
Thanks for posting big sister...
ReplyDeleteMum is a bit hmm yeah you know just nervous and she wants to have a facebook account to be up to date. But I'm allright whith the possibility to see your posts on here...
enjoy your time and don't be shocked about my terrible English. ^^
Greets from Switzerland, Buchs downtown ;)
nice to read about your trip - also Sargans is watching your journey...
ReplyDelete