Thursday, September 29, 2011

Dolomites - Alpine Field Course

As time is moving on incredibly fast, the last mandatory field course of my studies took place this September, 12 - 19. Sad really to think about it. But then, I'm sure, life will bring on lots of new exciting trips after studying, too.

The topic of the field trip were the Dolomites. As it so happened, I had never been there before. We travelled in vans and spent every other day hiking (and looking at rocks).

Giving you a day to day record of the trip would bore most of you. Hence, I restrict myself to showing some photos of the area only. And let me just say this: Yes, it is still in the Alps. But it is so stunningly beautiful and entirely different from the Swiss Alps. I simply loved every single minute being out there and trying to absorb the breathtaking carbonate platforms! (And for the ones knowing me as a 100% hard rock petrologist, know what this statement means... :))
Sasso lungo
Geisler platform
Buchenstein Beds (where we did a detailed logging)
Latemar
obviously happy
Latemar
looking back towards Passo dell Selle
Monzoni intrusion (hence no typical dolomite topography...)

No comments:

Post a Comment